Lewis & Clark Development Group has been awarded a flexible grant for $432,000 from NeighborWorks America, which will allow it to further NeighborWorks America’s vision across North Dakota.
The grant is out of more than $77 million that have been awarded to all 239 nonprofit members of the NeighborWorks network. LCD Group is North Dakota’s only NeighborWorks chartered organization.
LCD Group Executive Director Brent Ekstrom said the majority of the funding will go towards the organization’s capacity for lending and investments.
“Every year, Lewis and Clark Development Group provides solid stewardship of our grant dollars which allows us to fund projects and services that have a multiplier effect in communities throughout North Dakota,” said Ekstrom. “While a portion of these flexible grants support our operations, we put the majority of funds to work in providing single-family and multi-family housing services.”
“Our record shows we are a sound investment. Last year, we took $472,340 in NeighborWorks America grants and leveraged the funds into $44,304,851 in total investments through partnerships with local governments, lenders, and private partners,” adds Ekstrom. “That’s a ratio of 94 to 1. You really can’t get any better than that.”
A study measuring NeighborWorks America’s impact in North Dakota during 2020 found LCD Group…
- Provided 544 total hosing and counseling services;
- Helped 47 new homeowners purchase homes through its single-family home loan program, the DREAM Fund;
- Owned or managed 99 single-family and multi-family rental homes;
- Created or maintained 31 jobs;
- Preserved and/or rehabilitated nine (9) homes; and
- Assisted more than 300 North Dakotans through financial counseling and education.
“The local, on-the-ground work of our network of nearly 240 organizations located in all 50 states, Puerto Rico, and the District of Columbia allows us to make tremendous impact and transform people’s lives, particularly in a year where so many are feeling economic distress and uncertainty,” said NeighborWorks America President & CEO Marietta Rodriguez.
According to Rodriguez, in 2020, NeighborWorks America leveraged more than $59 for every $1 of congressional appropriation. Nationally, NeighborWorks America:
- Provided $9.3 billion in total direct investment in communities across the country;
- Created 23,400 homeowners;
- Developed 13,600 quality, affordable rental homes;
- Preserved 9,100 homes through rehabilitation, counseling, and refinancing;
- Repaired 76,200 homes;
- Owned and/or managed 179,900 quality, affordable rental homes;
- Counseled 149,200 families and individuals on financial capability, pre-purchase, post-purchase, or foreclosure issues; and
- Issued 18,000 training certificates to community development and housing professionals.
NeighborWorks America is a congressionally chartered, national, nonpartisan nonprofit that provides access to homeownership and safe and affordable rental housing through its chartered member organizations in all 50 states, the District of Columbia, and Puerto Rico.
For more than 40 years, the Neighborhood Reinvestment Corporation, known as NeighborWorks America, has offered grant funding, peer-exchange, technical assistance, evaluation tools, and access to training, as the nation’s leading trainer of housing and community development professionals.
CommunityWorks North Dakota was founded in 1995 as part of the Lewis & Clark Development Group. It is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit with a mission of addressing housing issues, particularly for low- and moderate-income families and individuals.
NeighborWorks network organizations, like LCD Group, provide residents in their communities with affordable homes, owned and rented; financial counseling and coaching; community building through resident engagement; and collaboration in the areas of health, employment and education.
For more information, visit www.neighborworks.org.